Kevin Murray (claystorm) wrote,
Kevin Murray

  • Mood:

So here I sit....

So here I sit, working on a computer for the Central New Mexico Affiliate of The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, I remember how much I love to work with non-profit groups and how much joy it brings to be when I do stuff for them.

That is probley why I love helping out in the church. It gives me a sence that I am doing good things (and I would like to hope I am). I mean, I love my day job and everything and really get great fullfulment out of that, but when I am working with a non-profit who has a really good cause, much like the Susan G Komen Foundation, it gives me great joy.

So right now, I have just gotten done formating and reloading windows 98 (talk about old), on to a computer. I just reloaded the anti-virus software and did windows update. Now I am trying to install the printer again, and hoping it works. The printer is the reason why I decided to just wipe the computer clean and rebuild it.

For anyone who has not work inside a non-profit, most of the time you get what people are willing to give / donate to you. Well I must say the CNM Affilite of the Susan G. Komen foundation has been blesed in many ways. They just got office space donated to them (which is really cool), and a bunch of companys have helped out and donated funture and other stuff.

Well when we get to the subject of computers, even non-profits need them. So we got really lucky and got a few good computers (could be a bad name for a movie) donated. So, they went out and bought a good all-in-one printer/scanner/copier for the office. When Kathy the Administrative Assistant installed the printer on the laptop everything went fine. Then she tried hooking it up to the desktop computer and that is when all of the fun started.

Kathy is the type of person who I beleave is not afraid of computers and whatnot, so she gave it a go, and when it failed, she did not give up, she tired again. So, when that failed, she talked to HP (who made the printer), and tried everything they suggested. So, when that failed, she finaly broke down and called me.

So I figued that this would be a very easy project and that it would not take that long at all. Well, little did I know how long this was going to take, and really I am fine with how long it has taken to fix it. So Thursday since I had sometime built up I left the office around 3:30 and came over to there office and started to work on that and a few other things.

Like Kathy, I tried a few times to get it to install. When that failed, I tried a few other things and that too did not work. Well when did not work, I broke down and got out there laptop and hooked it up next to the computer I was working on and started a chat session with HP. I did not call them as a chat session works much better for me, and allows me to still use my ipod. LOL. Anyway, I worked for 4 hours or so with the guy from HP and still had not gotten it fixed. So finaly totaly fedup with the computer / printer and also it being close to 11pm and I had not had dinner yet, I gave up.

So I sent a email to Paula who is the Executive Director of the Central New Mexico Affiliate, and a really good and close friend (which is how I have gotten involoved with the Komen Foundation) and told her what I had gotten done so far on all the comptuers. I then asked if there was anything on the desktop comptuer that they really needed since I figured in the long run it would be better if I just formated and reloaded the computer. She told me that no, there was nothing on there yet, and that I could do what ever I needed to make it work.

So on Friday at my office I found the disks and drivers I would need for the computer and got everything that I needed ready to go. So Saturday after getting a bunch of other stuff done down at my old office (yes I still help them), I went back to my apartment got some stuff and went down to my office did what I needed to down there, and grabed what I needed to format and reload the comptuer.

Stopped at The Range on my way to the Komen office for dinner, and finaly got here around 8pm. Also when I got here, I was being a total stupid head, and ended up locking my keys in my car (fun fun, NOT!). So I called my dad, and asked him if he would mind comming up and unlocking my car for me. Lucky for me, I had grabed the keys to the building before I locked my keys in my car, so I was able to go in and get started as I waited for my dad to come and unlock my car.

So about 35 min later here or so, my mom and dad pull up out side the office and call me to let me they know they got here. So I went down and got my keys out of my car, and then since they came the whole way up, <>miles one way, I figured I would at least show them the office and stuff.

So gave them the tour and then they went on there way back to where they came from (Corrales). Then I got started working on the computer. I got the comptuer formated and got Windows 98 reinstalled really easy. I then got all the drivers loaded up and got the computer back to a normal working order. Got the anti-virus reinstalled and did Windows Update to get all the security patches and stuff the comptuer needs. So, finaly with the computer updated and patched and read to go, and I started to install the printer.

So, stuck the CD in the drive and the install software started right up and started going at it. So I must add that this software for the printer to install take 10 days and a year to install. I am not sure what all it installs, but I think it must be installing every little peice of software it could get its hands on. LOL. Anyway, so finaly I get to the point here I needed to connect the USB cable, and it found the printer (like it had done before), and everything was looking good.

So finaly it gets to the point where it says it has to reboot (which is normal in Windows 98). So I let it reboot and windows starts back up. Now normaly this is where the install would crap out and the printer would not work. So when the comptuer came backup I checked the printers folder and sure enough there was the printer. I think I screamed "Hell YES!" lol. So I let the install finish up what it needed and had the computer print a test page and it printed just fine!

So right now I am finishing up on a few last things. Then after that I am going to clean up and get ready to head out and go home.

Tags: keyword-206, keyword-97
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.